Thursday, October 22, 2009

Yoghurt

I decided to make yoghurt since I eat quite a lot of it.
I reckoned that home made has to be better than shop bought as it wont have preservatives and so on in it.

It is sitting there now fermenting away.
I will post the results later.


recipe:

1 Litre of shop bought milk
2 Tablespoons of LIVE yoghurt

Heat the milk in the microwave for about 6-7 minutes until it reaches about 45 degrees. Leave to cool a little and add the live starter yoghurt. The reason I used the microwave and not a pot on the stove is that the milk tends to burn on the bottom if not constantly stirred and the microwave eliminates this.
Most people say to bring it to 80 degrees first and then leave to cool until it reaches 40 degrees, but this should be only for unpasteurised milk to kill any harmful bacteria. Shop bought is already germ free so I have skipped the initial boiling part.

I put the luke warm milk into a measuring jug and covered it with cling film.
I heated up a cooler box with boiling water and then put a towel in the bottom of the box.
I placed the jug in there and covered it with another towel.

I will leave it in the cooler (now a heater) box for about 4 hours and then put it in the fridge to set.

I am interested to see what happens as it is the first time I have made yoghurt.


Ok,so I made 4 attempts at the yoghurt. Each one failed, and I eventually found the problem to be maintaining the heat until the yoghurt set.
My final attempt was to make up 1 pint of hot milk, let it cool to 40 degrees and add the tablespoon of live yoghurt and put the milk into a thermos flask. I left it overnight and in the morning...1 pint of yoghurt. The thermos is a great way of holding the heat until the milk turns to yoghurt.
I will keep back 1 tablespoon of this yoghurt as the starter for my next batch.

4 comments:

  1. Will the yoghurt be getting mint etc added when it is finished and be served with a curry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    The idea was to use it in curries and for general eating and in raitas.
    the problem is the experiment was a disaster. I didn't leave the milk and starter in a warm enough place so it ended up like sour milk.
    I have just been to the supermarket and bought some more live yoghurt and will be trying again this afternoon.
    I will post the results when finished.

    How's the curry making going, Mike ???

    john

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't got around to it yet, as I have yet to empty one more Carbonara Sauce container - I'll be using these to freeze the base gravy. I may as well cook a batch of it if I'm going to do it! I'm just putting a Fidget Pie in the oven (Hairy Bikers recipe) and doing an Oxtail Casserole which will take 4 hours slow cooking. When the pie is out, I'll then start a roasted red pepper & buttnernut squash soup and put part of my Dorset Naga's in there !! A busy Saturday here. I may try the yoghurt as we use quite a bit of it - I'll let you work out the practicalities first ;>) Also, my CSG should arrive next week :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a busy day ahead....Dorset Naga...brave man

    ReplyDelete